Tuesday, June 24, 2014

My New Arrival

Earlier this year I had purchased my wife a pair of Zebra finches.  After several weeks, sadly, the female died, and we were left with a single male.

Well, after about 4 weeks that the female was gone, I popped into a pet supply store that actually sold various birds.  One of the birds they had was a PAIR of Zebra Finches, and were quite inexpensive for the pair.
When I asked for the one, they said that they had to be sold as a pair..

So... I said, "Fine.. give me the pair.."

Needless to say, the male escaped!  Although it was upsetting, I was secretly saying.. "YES!"

I got the female only, instead.  Great buy too!  Half the price for the one bird (and on top of that a third of the price of a regular Zebra Finch).
Well, I brought her home, and my wife was ecstatic to see the new finch for her family of birds.. (Yes it's getting a little extensive!)

The finches bonded very easily, and quickly..  After 2 weeks the male was dancing and singing for her.

About 2 months ago, they were mating, and within a few short days, the female had finally been coaxed into the nest.  It wasn't until about 1½ weeks ago that we say the baby.  We were in process of cleaning out the birds cages, and we had reached down the finches cage.
Sure enough, there in the nest, we say the chick.  Pink, and covered in soft fuzzy down.  No not like a baby chicken, or a duck, or even a goose, but kind of ugly, yet... cute!

We halted cleaning of their cage, and just placed it back on, and left them alone.
Strange, we didn't even know that the egg had hatched!

Today, the baby bird was OUT of the nest!  We're guessing that the baby is about 4 weeks old.

In fact, the baby was out, singing, and flitting about the cage, and sitting with its parents on the perches in the cage.

Amazing to see!

A New Arrival

So here the baby is, sitting on the edge of the nest..

Again, absolutely amazing to see, when just a short week ago the baby was nothing more than a pink little puff!
Until next time, keep those shutters firing!

No comments:

Post a Comment